Information for clients
Information for clients
The following information is required by the Rules of Conduct and Client Care for Lawyers issued by the New Zealand Law Society (Law Society) to be provided by lawyers to their clients.
The basis on which fees will be charged by Carson Fox Legal (we or us) in respect of a matter and when payment of fees is to be made are set out in our standard Terms of Engagement.
2 Professional Indemnity Insurance We hold professional indemnity insurance that exceeds the minimum standards specified by the Law Society. We will provide you with particulars of those minimum standards upon request.
3 Lawyers Fidelity Fund The Law Society administers a Lawyers’ Fidelity Fund which provides clients with some protection against loss caused by theft by a lawyer of money or other assets entrusted to the lawyer.
4 Complaints If you have a complaint about our services or charges, you may refer your complaint to the director of Carson Fox Legal who has overall responsibility for your work. If you do not wish to refer your complaint to that person, or you are not satisfied with that person’s response to your complaint, you may refer your complaint to another director, whom you may contact by letter, by email at the email address for that director appearing on our website, by telephoning our office at +64 9 966 1100 and asking to speak to that director, or by any other means. The Law Society also maintains a complaints service and you are able to make a complaint to that service by contacting the Law Society. Contact details are: Postal Address: PO Box 5041, Lambton Quay, Wellington 6145 (DX SP20202) Telephone: 0800 264 801 Fax: +64 4 473 7909 Website: www.lawsociety.org.nz
5 Persons responsible for the work The names and status of the person or persons who will have the general carriage of, or overall responsibility for, the services we agree to provide for you are set out in our Letter of Engagement. If at any stage you would prefer a change in the personnel handling a matter, please contact either the director responsible for the matter or another director of Carson Fox Legal.
6 Client Care and Service Whatever legal services we are providing to you, we must:
◦ act competently, in a timely way, and in accordance with instructions received and arrangements made;
◦ protect and promote your interests and act for you free from compromising influences or loyalties;
◦ discuss with you your objectives and how they should best be achieved;
◦ provide you with information about the work to be done, who will do it and the way the services will be provided;
◦ charge you a fee that is fair and reasonable and let you know how and when you will be billed;
◦ give you clear information and advice;
◦ protect your privacy and ensure appropriate confidentiality;
◦ treat you fairly, respectfully and without discrimination;
◦ keep you informed about the work being done and advise you when it is completed;
◦ let you know how to make a complaint and deal with any complaint promptly and fairly.
The obligations lawyers owe to clients are described in the Rules of Conduct and Client Care for Lawyers. Those obligations are subject to other overriding duties, including duties to the courts and to the justice system. If you have any questions, please visit the Law Society website or call 0800 261 801.